The Medium Support Helicopter Aircrew Training Facility (MSHATF) was developed by CAE in consultation with the U.K. Ministry of Defence (MoD). CAE is responsible for the delivery of turnkey training services in addition to the design, construction and financing of the facility that opened in 1999, CAE operates the MSHATF under a 40-year private finance initiative (PFI) contract.
The MSHATF delivers the total spectrum of individual, team and collective synthetic aircrew training required by the Royal Air Force (RAF) Support Helicopter Force for the CH-47 Chinook and Puma platforms. Under the terms of its PFI contract, CAE also has the ability to provide training to third-party AW101 Merlin and CH-47 users. This enables approved military and civil operators, around the world, to take advantage of the advanced simulation-based training and mission rehearsal capability at the MSHATF on a highly cost-effective basis.
Academic / Classroom Training
Simulator / Training Devices
- Individual, team and collective training;
- Basic Aircraft Conversion/ Conversion to Type;
- Conversion to role;
- Distributed mission training;
- Pre-deployment and Operational Training;
- Search & Rescue.
- AW101/Leonardo Helicopters
- SA330 Puma/Airbus
- (3) CH-47 Chinook Simulators
- (2) AW101 Merlin Simulators
- (1) SA330 Puma Simulator
- Tactical Control Centre (TCC)
- Computer-generated forces provided over the network
- Puma Simfinity Ground School
- Chinook Simfinity/Maestro Ground School (Available Summer 2022)