Today at the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC), the world’s largest modelling, simulation and training event, CAE launched its next generation CAE Medallion-6000TM image generator.
The CAE Medallion-6000 image generator is CAE’s proven, long-standing visual system designed to help provide realistic, high-performance synthetic environments specifically for the defense and security market. CAE is demonstrating the CAE Medallion-6000 image generator in a rotary-wing mission training scenario at its booth (#1734) during I/ITSEC 2014.
The next-generation CAE Medallion-6000 image generator is based on the latest commercial-off- the-shelf (COTS) graphics processors from NVIDIA Corporation and delivers a range of new features and capabilities for the defense and security market, including:
- Increased sustained polygon capacity of more than 400,000 polygons for extremely detailed synthetic environments and realistic night scenes;
- Higher resolution imagery and textures for enhanced visual fidelity;
- Ability to modify a Common Database (CDB) at run-time;
- Reflective model for rainy conditions and fog, including multiple 3D clouds for accurate simulation of weather and the resulting impact on training;
- Realistic run-time lighting and shadowing effects based on various light sources;
- Smooth dynamic shadows correlated to the sun or moon position on the ground,
- buildings, moving vehicles, and other entities in the synthetic environment;
- Improved special effects such as explosions and smoke for a realistic, dynamic synthetic
- environment ideal for combat mission training and rehearsal.
The CAE Medallion-6000 image generator fully supports the Common Database (CDB), an open, public database specification designed to make the creation, modification and correlation of run- time databases much faster to support training and mission rehearsal. The CAE Medallion-6000 is also designed to be part of CAE’s Dynamic Synthetic Environment (DSE), a comprehensive integrated solution that creates a virtual synthetic environment to more accurately and realistically simulate the real world. CAE’s DSE takes advantage of CDB capabilities to dynamically change the terrain to introduce or modify features such as craters, weapons effects, and localized damage on any three-dimensional (3D) content or vegetation.
“The CAE Medallion image generator has proven itself as one of the leading visual solutions for the defense and security market, and is used on a range of programs around the world,” said Marc St. Hiliaire, Vice President of Technology and Innovation, CAE. “We are continuing to invest in technologies that will help our defense customers increase their use of high-performance synthetic environments for training, mission rehearsal and decision-support. The latest generation CAE Medallion-6000 image generator is a key part of our overall visual solution and the rendering engine that produces a highly immersive and realistic virtual world.”
Some recent programs awarded to CAE that will get the latest generation CAE Medallion-6000 image generator include:
- Eurofighter full-mission simulators and cockpit trainers visual system update for the German Air Force;
- UH-72A Lakota flight simulation training devices for the U.S. Army;
- SH-2G(I) helicopter full-mission flight simulator for the New Zealand Defence Force;
- CP-140 full-flight simulator for the Royal Canadian Air Force.
CAE is a global leader in providing comprehensive training solutions based on world-leading simulation technology and integrated training services. The company employs 8,000 people at more than 160 sites and training locations in 35 countries. Our vision is to be our customers' Partner of Choice and we take a long-term approach to customer relationships. We offer our civil aviation and defense and security customers a complete range of highly innovative product, service and training centre solutions designed to help them meet their mission critical needs for safety, efficiency and readiness. We provide similar solutions to customers in healthcare and mining. CAE has the largest installed base of civil and military flight simulators, supported by a range of after-sales services, and has been serving the needs of its customers for nearly 70 years. We have the broadest training services network in the world and offer civil aviation, military and helicopter training services in 67 locations worldwide and train more than 120,000 civil and military crewmembers annually. www.cae.com
Follow us on Twitter @CAE_Inc and @CAE_Defence - 30 -
Images from latest generation CAE Medallion-6000 image generator are available for download at: www.cae.com/photos
Nathalie Bourque, Vice President, Public Affairs and Global Communications, (514) 734-5788,
Trade media: Chris Stellwag, Director, Marketing Communications – Defense and Security, (813) 887-1242, [email protected]
Investor relations: Andrew Arnovitz, Vice President, Strategy and Investor Relations, (514) 734-5760, [email protected]